Sunday, August 14, 2011

London Riots

In the 24 hours I Have been back in London, I have seen more police than in the past year. They are everywhere. And I do feel a bit safer. It also gives an interesting sense of community. They chat with people and offer directions. And they seem relaxed. The stores generally seem tense. And again today I noticed that there are way fewer people out than normal. While eating at a local pub, we noticed a broken window. The waiter said, "Yeah, that's from the riots. There were a group of guys across the street. They saw us inside looking at them. We were afraid, so we went to the back. They ran over and broke the window. Doesn't make sense. I work for a living and these guys just run around being stupid."

Some stores had preventatively boarded up the glass. I walked down the antiques section of Islington. Usually there are several little vendors set up selling all sorts of things in a flea market type setting. About half were not there. Two Bobbies were in front of me, strolling. One of the vendors said, "Where are the hoods? What have you done with them? I haven't seen any since Wednesday last.". The Bobbie responded, "Locked up, we hope." The men all nodded and grinned. There was a slight air of success, that maybe it really was all over. The vendor looked relieved.

While walking down Upper St, I overhear conversations about police brutality and austerity cuts, the poor and the disenfranchised. I hear Frustration and anger. The shop keepers are nervous. I have never been rushed out of stores so fast as I have in the last two days. But mostly, mostly, people are out enjoying themselves as the English do. They persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment