Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Safety First is Second Nature

On a recent trip to view the new office building, the logo on the safety vests that were one-size-fits-most(truckers) read "Safety First is Second Nature."  Perhaps.  As I find that safety features are not always apparent in the UK, and I find that...reassuring.

Take for example my trip to Dover.  After climbing the Shakespeare's Cliff, stopping along the way to look out over the barricade, I got to the top and turned just in time to see that was no longer a barricade where, arguably, you would most need it.  And there was no sign warning you to mind the gap.  Speaking of gap, there is just a recording in the tube station.  If you happen to fall through, well, it's just Darwinism.

When crossing the street, you can walk when there isn't a car (or bus or bike.)  Oh, you can also walk when there is a walk sign, but no one actually waits for that like they do in California.  I got so accustomed to waiting, having received a $60 jaywalking ticket for crossing while the walk sign wasn't on, in spite of the fact there wasn't traffic, that it took me a good two months to truly believe I CAN cross here when I decide it's a good idea, not just when the light says so.  The trick is knowing when it is a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. this is how you do it!
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=62016
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climb the inner, ancient, winding stairs leading up the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral. Unbelievably treacherous. I just hope no Americans hurt themselves, because they'll probably sue the beejesus out of the Church for totally unsafe stairs. As if Christopher Wren gave a crap 450 plus years ago about the safety of stairs that were probably designed for workmen.

    ReplyDelete