Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sugar





*NOTE: I am on a train to Shrewsbury, so exclamations will be peppered through this post.*

WOW!  The Rapeseed/canola plant is in full bloom turning the English hillsides a bright yellow.  It's sunny and vibrant, quite a departure from the gloomy winter of just a few weeks ago.

And on to the Sugar Story.  It was the day James came to visit in March.  He had gone to the flat while I was at work to unpack.  Once we both got back to the flat, I saw this canister labeled "sugar" on the kitchen counter.  James never adds sugar to tea or coffee, so I thought it was odd he would bring sugar with him.  I asked what it was.  He thought it was mine.  Which led us to look at each other incredulously - then whose is it?  I had a disturbed feeling as I realized that someone else had been in the flat.  But how could that be?   I checked the windows - closed and locked.  And anyway why would someone break in, take nothing and leave sugar?

I emailed the landlord the next day.  And by the afternoon, was barraged by emails and phone calls back littered with apologies.  Apparently, a repairman had been sent to repair the faulty buzzer system and though he was specifically told to only access the main panel in the hallway, he for whatever reason decided to let himself into my apartment.  Now, presumably, he would have wanted to check the buzzer.  Maybe he did.  It still doesn't work, so maybe he didn't.  But what he did do is make himself a cup of tea. 

*Arriving in Coventry as Stonehenge is playing on my headphones.  The end part with the mandolin solo is perfectly fitting for the landscape.*

So.  The Tea Loving Repairman has a tea making kit he takes with him which includes a container of milk, tea bags, a cup and a container of sugar.  He left his sugar behind.  The landlord was quite clear that he didn't use my cups or tea.  I am supposing he used my kettle however, otherwise it'd be a very cold cup of tea.  And the Brits aren't all that into Sun Tea.

*Arriving in Birmingham and changing trains.  My 12:09 to Shrewsbury has been changed to a 12:02.  Good thing I asked.  Made it on the train with only 1 minute to spare.  Birmingham.  Hmmmm.  Industrial.*

I still have the sugar container, which is actually a vitamin bottle with "sugar" written in sharpie.  I opened it and it smells like vitamins.  Not my first choice in flavors.  I wonder what that does for tea?  But I hope someday, the repairman will be back to complete the buzzer repair and reclaim his sugar bottle.  How on Earth is he getting on in the meantime?  Unsweet tea, I suppose.

1 comment: